British Standard 3998 : 1989
Recommendations for Tree Work
BS3998:1989 is a detailed technical guide produced and published by the British Standards Institute. It is intended for use by arboriculturists, tree surgeons and all others involved with the maintenance of trees.
The following subjects are discussed in BS3998:1989.
- Season of works.
- Treatment of Wounds.
- Cleaning Out (crown cleaning, Ivy).
- Pruning (cuts, formative pruning, crown lifting, crown thinning, pollarding).
- Repair of damaged roots.
- Repair of bark wounds.
- Bracing (flexible bracing, rod bracing).
- Decay, cavities and water pockets.
- Tree nutrition.
- Tree Felling.
- Stump treatment (killing, removal).
- Disposal of arisings.
- Appendix A. Safety precautions (clothing, weather, warning notices, highways, hung up trees, service wires, fires, chemicals, poisonous plants).
- Appendix B. Sterilisation of tools.
- Appendix C. Preparations for wound treatment.
- Appendix D. Bracing Materials.
- Appendix E. Improving Soil conditions.
- Appendix F. Treatment of tree stumps.
- Appendix G. Tree as an anchor
BS3998:1989. 22 pages including diagrams & tables. ISBN 0-580-17170-1. Published in 1989 and available from the British Standards Institution price £80.